Principles of economics: Microeconomics
Pace University, Fall 2017 -- ECO106 - 71496 & 71762
YouTube Channel (I will post videos from time to time)
Prologue (week 1):
Theoretical and Empirical Economics
- Chapters 1 and 2 of Microeconomics by Acemoglu, Laibson, and List (hereafter referred to as A,L.&L.)
- Chapter 1 of Freakonomics by Levitt and Dubner
- Most of What You Learned in Econ 101 is Wrong by Noah Smith
- Lecture Note 1
Markets and Efficiency (weeks 2 - 5):
a. Thinking on the Margin
- Lecture Note 2
- Chapter 3 of A,L.&L.
- Watch Moneyball
b. Supply and Demand
- Lecture Note 3
- Chapter 4 of A,L.&L.
- The Conventional Wisdom on Oil is Always Wrong by Ben Casselman
c. Utility and Demand
- Lecture Note 4
- Chapter 5 of A,L.&L.
- Do Consumers Care About Ethics? Willingness to Pay for Fair-Trade Coffee by De Pelsmacker et al (2005)
d. Profits and Supply
- Lecture Note 5
- Chapter 6 of A,L.&L.
e. Perfect Competition and The Invisible Hand
- Lecture Note 6
- Chapter 7 of A,L.&L.
- An Experimental Study of Competitive Market Behavior by Vernon L. Smith (1962)
Markets and Competition (weeks 6 - 10):
- Lecture Note 7
- Chapter 8 of A,L.&L.
g. Labor Market and Income Inequality
- Lecture Note 8
- Chapter 11 of A,L.&L.
- Why Does the Minimum Wage Have No Discernable Impact on Employment? by Schmitt (2015)
h. Monopoly and Price Discrimination
- Lecture Note 9
- Chapter 12 of A,L.&L.
- Uber Starts Charging What It Thinks You're Willing to Pay via Bloomberg Business
i. Game Theory
- Lecture Note 10
- Chapter 13 of A,L.&L.
j. Imperfect Competition
- Lecture Note 11
- Chapter 14 of A,L.&L.
Market Failures and Special Topics (weeks 11- 14):
- Lecture Note 12
- Chapter 9 of A,L.&L.
- How Economists See the Environment by Fullerton and Stavins (1998)
l. Public Goods and Taxation
- Lecture Note 13
- Chapters 9 and 10 of A,L.&L.
m. Risk and Information
- Lecture Note 14
- Chapters 15 and 16 A,L.&L.
n. Auctions, Bargaining, and Social Economics
- Lecture Note 15
- Chapters 17 and 18 of A,L.&L.